These energy balls are quick to make and are a super-nutritious snack especially with the addition of superfoods such as maca, green powders, bee pollen etc. They can also be pressed into a lined baking tray and cut into bars after being refridgerated to harden a little. They cost a fraction of the price of similar bars available from supermarkets & health food stores.
Equal amounts of:
- Any nut of your choice (almonds, brazils, hazelnuts, cashews work well)
- Dates or raisins
- Other dried fruit of your choice (eg apricots, cranberries, figs)
- Grind or food-process nuts (or coarsely chop if no equipment or use a nut butter)
- Add roughly chopped dried fruit and process again (alternatively mix in by hand)
- Roll into balls, refridgerate and eat! Keep in fridge for at least 2 weeks.
Favourite combinations at Pure People are brazil nuts, dates/raisins and apricots or walnuts, dates and cranberries/apricots
Add chocolate (cocoa) powder for a chocolate version. Add a few drops of water at a time only if mixture needs moistening to allow rolling.
If you have a particularly sweet tooth, add some natural sweetener such as agave syrup/nectar or xylitol sugar